Sunday, June 24, 2012

Entering the uncomfortable

The Lord has called each of us to something spectacular - to glorify God with all we have and all we are.  Sometimes it doesn't feel very spectacular or profound.  Sometimes we can even be disappointed in where God has called us.  Often times when that is the case it is because we have given in to our self-centered human nature.  Glorifying God is not about what we want, what makes us happy or comfortable, or what is most convenient.  It is about humble service to others, intimacy with the Lord, being satisfied in Christ, and many times being uncomfortable.  It seems like the way I see God work over & over in my life is to push me to a place of complete discomfort and watch as it draws me nearer to Him.  I pray that one day the time will come when I have such intimacy with the Lord that my comfort or discomfort is no longer defined by my environment or circumstances but by dwelling in the presence of God.

This week I entered a new calling the Lord has brought me to - one that is unfamiliar and uncomfortable.  I started work as a nurse intern in the Emergency Department at Scott & White Memorial.


No, I will not have to boil my drinking water, learn to use a squatty potty, live with out air conditioning, or sleep under a mosquito net every night.  But I will encounter a new set of challenges.  I will see injustice, poverty, and abuse of many kinds.  I will struggle with judgement and pray for a heart full of mercy and compassion to each of my patients.  There are times I will be exhausted, put out, overwhelmed, and anxious.  I will be reminded of my weakness in the flesh.  I will be humbled, grow in patience, and hold tight to the grace of God.

God likes to change our plans.  I know I'm not the only one who can testify to that.  Instead of be frustrated with where you are right now, wishing things were different, or resisting the change, look ahead to the unexpected ways God is going to challenge you, grow you, and satisfy you more than any earthly thing you could want.  Don't get me wrong.  I am not saying it is all rainbows and roses.  Growth is difficult.  Being changed into the image of Christ is hard.  Dealing with pride, anger, selfishness, self-righteousness, complacency,  laziness, entitlement, and all the other sin in each of our hearts is painful.  Being put in a place of total reliance on the Lord can be scary.  But anything less than striving hard after God would be frivolous in comparison.

1 comment:

  1. Kelsey, this is a bEaUtIfUl post about how God is making you confident in Him. i love you. :)

    ReplyDelete