Wednesday, March 3, 2010

In the midst of fear, I cling to truth.

A week and a half until I leave for Haiti with my team. Everyone keeps asking if I'm excited. Of course I'm excited! But the feelings go much beyond that. I must admit that the thought has crossed my mind several times, "What have I gotten myself into?" I think I underestimated what a challenge this trip is going to be - not only physically but also emotionally, mentally, and spiritually. Between the lack of hygeine, foreign environment, mass amounts of destruction, extreme devastation, overwhelming poverty, bodily adjustments, physical labor, spiritual alertness, and culture shock, I was struggling to stay calm when I started thinking about it all. But then I remembered why I began this journey. God has called me to this. He has given me a passion for the lost, poor, needy, and orphaned.

The Bible is filled with stories of God calling people and protecting & equipping them for the task in front of them – Noah, David and Goliath, Daniel, Ruth, Moses, the Israelites, Joshua, Mary, Paul, and so many others. One of my favorite passages of encouragement when I begin to doubt that I have what it takes is Jeremiah 1:4-10.

The Lord gave me this message: “I knew you before I formed you in your mother’s womb. Before you were born I set you apart and appointed you as my prophet to the nations.” “O Sovereign Lord,” I said, “I can’t speak for you! I’m too young!” The Lord replied, “Don’t say, ‘I’m too young,’ for you must go wherever I send you and say whatever I tell you. And don’t be afraid of the people, for I will be with you and will protect you. I, the Lord have spoken!” Then the Lord reached out and touched my mouth and said, “Look, I have put my words in your mouth! Today I appoint you to stand up against nations and kingdoms. Some you must uproot and tear down, destroy and overthrow. Others you must build up and plant.”

In Joshua 1:9 the Lord told Joshua “This is my command – be strong and courageous! Do not be afraid or discouraged. For the Lord your God is with you wherever you go.”

God will equip me. It’s as simple as that. I’m going to Haiti to serve others and demonstrate the Lord's love. I will be in an environment I don't know with a people I don't know in a culture I don't know. I don't know how my body will react and adjust to the physical changes. I will be uncomfortable to say the least. I will see devastation and poverty beyond what I can imagine. I will be moved for the people of Haiti, and my heart will break for them. I will be in danger of being in the midst of an aftershock earthquake. Even though I may be afraid of what lies ahead, I know that God will provide for His will to be done. He can overcome anything and everything that I may see as a barrier or hindrance. He can do immeasurably more than I could ever ask or imagine.

No comments:

Post a Comment