Friday, June 25, 2010

Abundance of Opportunities

Interesting happenings of the week:
1. On Wednesday we happened upon 4 drunk men that kept pointing at me as we were having a conversation with a store owner that we will be storying with. They men kept pointing at me, but I wasn´t paying attention. Jeremy said they were motioning for me to come over and whistling to get my attention. Needless to say, we didn´t pay them any attention much less go over to them.
2. I have de-boned 6 chickens this week. Pretty soon I´ll be a professional!
3. Alison has adopted the new spanish phrase ¨Hasta manzana¨ instead of ¨Hasta maƱana¨. When she tries to tell the children ¨See you tomorrow¨, they understand her as ¨See you apple¨. That has been pretty comical.
4. Wednesday night we could hear a pretty rowdy party going on while we were all upstairs talking after dinner. I looked out the window to see a party going in full force in the middle of the road with a fire, dancing, yelling, and alcohol. But that´s just something we will have to get used to seeing.

God has continued to place opportunities in our paths to meet people and build relationships. Wednesday we met Susana & Lucian and gave them some photographs Les had sent with me. Susana especially liked the picture of Milagro, her granddaughter. Thursday we all went dow the hill to the high school where the whole tow of Conima had a dance festival competition. We watched lots of different age groups of kids dance to the story of their heritage. Each dance held a cultural meaning to the town. It was a great chance for us t show our presence further as well as experience the culture and be a part of the town. The whole town was shut down, and everyone showed up to watch the dances. Thursday afternoon while I was working on memorizing my story (which I´m almost one with) and preparing to cook dinner with Emily, Jeremy & Sara played soccer & basketball with some teenage boys. They asked Jeremy & Sara to play with them again today so this afternoon I´m going to join them. It just seems like every day we are given more & more opportunities with the people.

Our stories are coming along more quickly now. I will finish memorizing mine today, and we have all agreed to share our stories in front of one another tonight after dinner. We will begin storying with the people next week, and as it quickly approaches anxiety levels have seemed to rise in the team. But I am confident that the Lord will work through us as He desires and will bless our efforts at so studiously memorizing our stories.

No comments:

Post a Comment