Monday, May 30, 2011

When there are no words

I have so many things to say and feel like I have no words to express them.
A summary of my past 2 weeks:
Played with lots of babies at Sanyu Babies' Home.
Walked through the largest slum in Kampala. What an eye-opening, heart-breaking experience.
Got kicked out of a Ugandan hospital.
Visited a rehabilitation center for disabled children.
Did some grocery shopping and experienced my first open-air market in Africa.
Rode 6 hours one-way to finally meet my sweet Compassion child, Emitu Leonard, and his family.
Spoke to a crowd of over 400 Ugandan children and many of their parents. With no heads up.
Got the chance to be the first white person ever seen by probably over a hundred children. Talk about staring.
Ate fried ants. Tasted kinda like sunflower seeds.
Saw the beginning of the Nile River. Absolutely beautiful.
Rode another 6 hours one-way through the breath-taking scenery of western Uganda.
Saw antelopes, water boar, Cape buffalo, wart hogs, a lion, hippos, crocodiles, monkeys, zebras, and a grand total of over 37 elephants. I know you're jealous, Katie.
Was in both the northern & southern hemispheres at the SAME time.
Learned to make chapatis (who knows if I spelled that right).
Baked cookies with 11 children.
Watched Princess and the Frog for the first time...and the second, third, fourth, and fifth times.
Play dough, sidewalk chalk outlines, the Hokey Pokey, Bible memory verses, coloring pages, relay races, spaghetti, pancakes, organizing toys, sorting clothes, and plenty of first aid. I can't decide if I'm feeling more like a preschool teacher or a mom.

I'm not going to lie. Despite all the wonderful excitement and new experiences, I have been struggling with some home sickness. I think it's just the realization of how long I am actually going to be here. And it is just beginning which can be upsetting and exciting at the same time. But God is so faithful to overcome my homesickness with joy in Him and His wonderful works - the works of His hands through creation, the reflection of His image through a child, the reminder of His faithfulness through the prayers of so many people. And He always brings me back to the purpose for which He has called me here - for His glory and namesake which is far greater than my desire for comfort or even my love for family.

In all this, my heart has been...waiting. Waiting on the Lord and searching. But searching for what, I'm not sure. It's hard to put into words. Through reading the gospels and going through a weekly study called Gospel in Life by Timothy Keller, God has been opening my eyes to so many things. And then through my experiences here in Uganda, God is teaching me something every day. I am trying to take it all in and process everything, but I guess my heart & mind are overwhelmed, not in a bad way. Just overwhelmed. Overwhelmed by God - His grace, His love, His power, His compassion, His heart, His call on me. It leaves me all very humbled. And speechless.

So for now I will just continue each morning to devote my days to the Lord and seek Him in all things, through all things, and for all things. And I trust that, although I may not understand right now what God is doing inside of me, it will be glorious and beautiful.

3 comments:

  1. Kelsey - Praying for you as you seek Him to be your comfort when lonely! 2 verses come to mind "But as for me, I watch in hope for the Lord, I wait for God my Savior; my God will hear me." Micah 7:7 and Psalm 37:8 "By day the Lord directs His love, at night His song is with me - a prayer to the God of my life."
    I know God has amazing things to teach you and show you!!
    Love Anjanette

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kelsey,
    I, too, pray for your comfort, peace, and knowledge of God's presence and plan for you.
    "underneath are the everlasting arms.

    Kristi P.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are being thought of and prayed for. I hope you're encouraged by that. God has surprises in store when we least expect them. Thank-you for sharing. God has gifted you to do it so beautifully! :)

    Love,
    Elaine Franklin

    ReplyDelete